10 of 12 seats remaining The Maritime College of Forest Technology’s Department of Continuing Education is pleased to offer our three-day Certified Basic Chainsaw Safety, Operation, &
10 of 12 seats remaining
The Maritime College of Forest Technology’s Department of Continuing Education is pleased to offer our three-day Certified Basic Chainsaw Safety, Operation, & Maintenance from Wednesday, August 7th to Friday, August 9th, 2020. Please see the attached announcement for specific course details.
The College has a long history of training forest professionals in whatever skills they require to travel the forests and woodlots of their work. Our clients include forest industry, governments, military, families, individual woodlot owners and landowner groups. Our focus is on developing safe and efficient skills to assist these people working and recreating in natural areas through ‘hands-on’ training.
The instructor, Mike Boucher, has over 30 years’ experience in providing basic chainsaw safety and use. His easy-going manner and ability to relate to all learning levels prove very effective in all training situations. As in all Continuing Education courses, safety is the first and foremost objective.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we can no longer supply personal safety equipment. Participants must bring the following safety equipment: chainsaw safety boots, ear and eyewear protection, and work gloves. It is also recommended that participants bring their own chainsaw, chainsaw pants or chaps. It is best that you bring your own saw because you will learn proper maintenance on it, resulting in a safe and well-performing saw when you leave. If you cannot supply the recommended gear, then MCFT can rent it to you.
Please note seats are limited, so please apply early. Companies and organizations can purchase the entire course – please call or email us for details. Custom brushsaw training is also available.
Please note that the course accommodates only twelve participants and tends to sell out fast. If you have questions or wish to reserve a seat on this course, please call (506)458-0649 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
DATE & TIME: Wednesday, August 5th, to Friday, August 7th, 2020. Registration and COVID-19 Screening process begins at 8:00 AM.
LOCATION: Strickland Building, 675 Strickland Lane, on the campus of the Maritime College of Forest Technology, Fredericton NB. The college has formal teaching and ‘hands-on’ areas, as well as outdoor areas for practical sessions.
FORMAT: Topics covered in this course include:
- safety requirements & safe operating techniques
- maintenance & troubleshooting (a well-maintained saw is a safe saw)
- filing & understanding of chain design
- work technique including:
- directional felling techniques
- limbing techniques
- bucking (crosscutting) techniques
- bore cutting
The course is delivered through:
- indoor & outdoor practical activities including:
- directional felling
FACILITATOR: Mike Boucher will serve as instructor for Basic Chainsaw Safety, Operation and Maintenance Workshop. He is a professional adult educator with vast experience in chainsaws and chainsaw instruction. He has delivered this training to MCFT students, private landowners and contractors, Department of Natural Resources, Department of National Defence, First Nations, and marketing boards. His easy-going manner and ability to relate to all learning levels prove very effective in all training situations. As in all Continuing Education courses, safety is the first and foremost objective.
ENROLMENT: Enrolment will be limited to twelve (12) candidates on a first-come-first-serve basis. If your preferred course dates are full, or there is insufficient enrolment to hold the session, you will be notified as to alternate dates.
MINIMUM AGE: All participants must be 16 years of age or older. Proof of age may be required.
CERTIFICATION: Upon successful completion on testing by the instructor, each participant will be awarded a certificate and hard plastic wallet card that is valid for a period of five years.
COVID-19 RULES: The province of New Brunswick is currently under an Emergency Order due to the ongoing pandemic. Here are our COVID-19 Protocols to attend our training:
- You must be residing in Atlantic Canada to attend.
- If you reside outside of Atlantic Canada you must quarantine for two weeks before attending.
- If you have recently travelled outside of Atlantic Canada, you must quarantine for two weeks before attending.
- If you have been in direct contact with any of 2 or 3 above, then you must quarantine for two weeks before attending.
- If you or any of your direct contacts are exhibiting any of the following symptoms, then you must not attend. From the NB Government Website:
- Fever above 38°C or signs of fever (such as chills).
- A new cough or worsening chronic cough.
- Sore throat.
- Runny nose.
- A new onset of fatigue.
- A new onset of muscle pain.
- Loss of sense of taste or loss of sense of smell.
- In children, purple markings on the fingers or toes. In this instance, testing will be done even if none of the other symptoms are present.
- Always maintain a 2-metre social distance buffer while attending our courses.
ACCOMMODATIONS: MCFT has a room rental agreement with the Fredericton Inn. Please dial 1-800-561-8777 and use the discount code ‘MCFT’. Costs for standard rooms are:
$109 per night single occupancy
$129 per night double occupancy
MEALS: This course is physically active and it is important to stretch often and stay hydrated. Please bring your own snacks and meals. Our cafeteria is closed due to the pandemic. MCFT will supply some water and Gatorade to help keep you hydrated.
TUITION: Tuition for the program, including supplies, is $495.00 + HST. It is recommended to use your own ATV, but we give you the option to rent one from us at the rate of $150 + HST.
BASIC CHAINSAW SAFETY, OPERATION, & MAINTENANCE WORKSHOP
is equivalent to 21 Continuing Forestry Education Credits.
5 (Wednesday) 8:00 am - 7 (Friday) 5:00 pm AST
675 Strickland Lane